Monday, February 14, 2011

Spalted Maple 1911 Grips!

The last time I put "fancy" grips on any of my handguns, they were highly figured walnut Altamont finger-groove grips for my S&W Model 696, taking it pretty close to Barbeque Gun status, albeit missing the obligatory engraving. Otherwise, most of my tools wear Hogue rubber Monogrips, w/finger grooves, including my raceguns. They earned my trust during IPSC and USPSA competitions over the years, and I figured a parkerized gun can't be made to look dressy, regardless.

I wasn't particularly looking for dress-up bits for my 1911s, but when I was just noodling around on eBay, these caught my eye. I dunno why, other than the mineral streaks and figure of the light maple, but they were indeed striking. So striking, in fact, that I bought them. It appears they have taken up residence on my Dick Bancroft-assembled Norinco/Kart/Videcki/Ed Brown/Brownells 1911 variant (Known in various circles as either Raunchorinco or The Gook Cup), and I dare say they look good. As a matter of fact, the old Hogue monogrip may not return, either.

Right side:


Left side:


Not bad. Not bad at all!

No comments: