Sunday, April 18, 2010

Muzzle Blasts, Pt. V

The mystery muzzle in Muzzle Blasts Pt. IV was a bit out of the ordinary. Many folks have seen or even own a K-31 Schmidt-Rubin, and they've become quite popular over the last decade as they arrived on the Cruffler scene at very reasonable prices. Less common, however, are the rifles that preceded the popular K-31 straight-pull Swiss rifle. The rifle in Muzzle Blasts Pt. IV is one of those, namely, an Infanterie-Gewehr Model 1911 Rifle, full-length (and boy do I mean FULL-LENGTH):


As long as the rifle is, it actually handles quite well offhand. The straight-pull bolt cycles like greased lightning, although I hope never to need strong extraction camming to remove a stubborn fired round. This particular S-R 1911 dates to 1913 by virtue of its 352xxx serial number, with a Pensioner's "P" mark stamped on the receiver. The muzzle protector is original to the rifle, which is neat - but looking at the 45-degree crown, I understand why the Swiss felt the need for such protection. There was no paperwork under the buttplate, which was one of the first things I looked for upon obtaining the rifle. Bummer, but the gorgeous metalwork and French Walnut make up for the lack of trinkets from the previous owner. Well, that and how much fun it is to shoot on range day!

For the next Name That Muzzle, I give you the Schmidt-Rubin's stablemate in the Gewehr98 collection of boomsticks:

I've taken the liberty to leave a little accessory attached to the muzzle to perhaps assist readers in identifying said rifle...

4 comments:

Justin Buist said...

Total guess but I'll go with a 1911.

Gewehr98 said...

Justin, you're correct, but that's the lower rifle. The upper rifle muzzle is this week's quiz subject. :-)

Justin Buist said...

Oh, then I'll go with a Steyr 95 for the top rifle.

Couldn't find the keys to whip open the safe to compare, but seems like a good guess with the open blade front sight.

Unknown said...

I'm going to lay my reputation on the line. I'm going with a Swedish Mauser.