Thursday, March 22, 2007

I'm tasting the Kool-Aid. Honest!

It's no secret that I'm a PC kind of guy. I have my MCSE, Novell, and A+ certificates filed neatly in the safe, and am a paid IT consultant to a local technology group. I buy, refurb, and resell IBM and Dell workstations and servers that come in off of corporate lease. The home network here looks like some sick nightmare, with dual or quad-cpu workstations in each room, fileservers in the laundry room, a Snap Server on a nightstand, etc.

So what did I do? I bought a Mac. No, really, I did! I now own a PowerMac G4 450 DP Gigabit. I understand it's kind of yesterday's news in the world of all things Mac, but at least it has a pair of 450Mhz processors to share the load. It's sort of cute, too - in an Apple Mac sort of way:


Why did I do it? I'm getting ready to purchase a distributorship for a well-known real estate publication. The printers give a healthy discount if the book is submitted in Mac Quark format. I run PC Quark on my personal IBM workstation, but the fonts are "wrong" compared to the Mac version of Quark. So I found a PowerMac G4 to take over that task and save me some coin.

I bought the Mac sans hard drive and memory. Now it has an 80Gb hard drive and 512Mb of PC-100 RAM. Now if I can just get OS 9.2 to boot properly, so I can upgrade it to OS X Panther or Tiger. Stay tuned, this could prove interesting. Mac pros are more than welcome to offer suggestions or tips.

No comments: