Sunday, April 01, 2007

The PowerMac G4 450 DP Gigabit makes a nice paperweight.

I've moved it into the closet after spending way too much time trying to get it to run.

I can assemble, configure, and boot a PC with Windoze or Linux like there's nobody's business.

But I'll be damned if I can get this PowerMac G4 to even boot reliably off of the OS 9.2 install CD. It's very flaky, and that's with a fresh 80Gb hard drive and 512Mb of (supposedly) Mac-approved PC100 memory. The local Mac shop in downtown Madison wants $65.00 to just look at it, they think it's a memory issue. I may have them do just that. Another option I was told might work is to try a fresh install of OS 9.0, which early-model PowerMac G4 systems shipped with. Then I'd get the "firmware" and work my way up to an OS X Tiger install.

For being supposedly "user-friendly", I'm finding nothing could be further from the truth with respect to my cute little Mac tower.

No comments: