Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back when MTV showed Music Videos...

It's commonly well-known that the world turned to color from Black & White partway through filming of the Wizard of Oz. That was a shocker for some, but was generally embraced by all as pretty much a good thing, although Ted Turner took it a bit far when he "colorized" some original pre-Wizard of Oz B&W classics. Not too long after that, a new phenomenon known as MTV hit the airwaves, and enthralled many of us with an artistic creation known as the Music Video.

I was a college freshman when MTV first appeared, and Martha Quinn kept my rapt attention, along with her compadres (the late) J.J. Jackson, Nina Blackwood, Alan Hunter, and Mark Goodman.

The videos ran the gamut from cheesy and low-budget to extraordinarily lavish productions.

They put a face and story to the songs one heard on radio and vinyl (itself almost relegated to history, save for a recent resurgence), and I was hooked.

The video that really sunk its claws into me?

Ex-Rainbow member Tony Carey's one-man band, Planet P Project, and What I See/Behind the Barrier. from his Pink World album. I've had that particular album for decades since then, and am in fact a true Artemite, for those who know of such things.

Without further ado, Planet P Project - What I See/Behind the Barrier:

No comments: